Memorials may be benches, trees or landscaped plantings installed in Hamilton Park or other public spaces in Lower Falls for the purpose of remembering a person or persons who have a connection to the Lower Falls community, directly or through a family member, the donor. Donors should contact the LFIA Beautification Committee Chair, who will orchestrate the memorial process.
- Memorial benches will be the Dumor Model 94-60 steel, bronze six-foot bench approved by the LFIA Beautification Committee. The manufacturer can affix an optional plaque with the name of the person and a short message. The LFIA Beautification Committee and the Newton Parks and Recreation Department will approve the location.
- A memorial tree can be ornamental or canopy type, the location of which is approved by the LFIA Beautification Committee and by the Newton Parks and Recreation Department.
- Tree should be a minimum of 2 inches diameter or 7-8 feet tall, B&B or container.
- Purchase, delivery and planting will be arranged by the donor in conjunction with the LFIA Beautification Committee
- Watering of the tree for the first three years, while the tree is becoming established, is the responsibility of the donor(s)
- Pruning, mulching and other maintenance will be the responsibility of the LFIA Beautification Committee.
- If a memorial tree dies after becoming established for three (3) years, but within the next twelve (12) years, it will be replaced and paid for by the LFIA Beautification Committee.
- After 15 years if a tree dies, the original donor will be notified, if contact information is available, and given the option to replace the tree or give up the spot for a new memorial.
- Memorial Landscape Areas may include hardscape, trees, shrubs, and/or perennials, the location and design of which is approved by the LFIA Beautification Committee and by the Newton Parks and Recreation Department, and consistent with the Hamilton Park Master Plan.
- Watering of the memorial landscaped area for the first three years of establishment is the responsibility of the donor(s)
- Pruning, mulching and other maintenance will be the responsibility of the LFIA Beatification Committee
Costs, including the full purchase, delivery, and installation cost of a bench, plant material or hardscape are covered by donations to the LFIA Beautification Committee arranged by the donor(s).
Placement of a memorial is dependent on the availability of a suitable space. Documentation of memorials with the GPS location and name of memorialized person(s) will be maintained on a map of the park and neighborhood viewable on the LFIA website. Only benches will have plaques.